Saturday, February 4, 2012

The Way I See the World

Is, quite frankly, weird. I was driving home from the gym today, thinking about and praying for my children, and I started thinking about skin grafts. When Dave was treated for skin cancer, the area they had to remove was so big that it required a graft. They used his own skin, and even so, it didn't look quite right at first, but now, you can barely see the scar unless you know it's there. Even though the body accepted it as it's own, there were bruises and scarring until it fully healed. I guess I felt like it was sort of an analogy for adoption. Now the graft is so firmly taken that it's like any other part of his skin, but at first it was a little painful and a little different. I know my son will come with scars. Emotional scars because of what he's been through in his short life. But in a few years, I hope that he is completely a part of us and we are completely a part of him. I love him already... and it hurts that we're not together. But I am looking forward to those days, when this part is past, and we're a whole family.

No comments:

Post a Comment