Friday, March 9, 2012

Soldiers?

This morning when we got to the orphanage, AS came running in and told us some soldiers were at the orphanage to play with the kids. There were probably 10 of them, and they took the kids outside and played with them on the playground, and showed off their physical prowess by doing pull ups and balancing on the bars. AS took us out there and held my hand. A friend of his asked "Mama zavut?" (what's your mother's name?), and he said "Mama zavut Rachel". Then she said "Papa zavut?" (what's your dad's name?), and he said something in Russian I couldn't understand and then shrugged. I said "Papa zavut David", and AS said "ah, David". All the kids were very curious about us, and one boy in particular wanted to come see us, and show us all he could do on the playground. It's hard for me to tell how old they are because they are all so much smaller than similar aged children in the U.S. It was a nice change for the morning. AS also showed me some more words in his English vocabulary such as "sit down please", "Look", and "house?". We made ourselves understood for the most part. He seems eager at time to learn more English, and other times tired of listening to us blather on about words in English. We have taught him words for some clothing items, foods (particularly bananas, yogurt, juice, and chocolate), body parts, and other stuff like tables, chairs etc.

One thing we didn't know was that a few days ago AS was asked to sign something agreeing that he wanted us to be his parents. He was asked by the orphanage director to sign saying he wanted to go with us to America forever and be in our family. I was glad that had taken place when we were not there, since I probably would have cried. He's already embarrassed by my singing, how much more so by my weeping? In a few months he will likely be just as embarrassed by having such parents as Zoe and Addie are.

Of note, we have heard English and Russian versions of Selena Gomez songs, Pink songs, and Katy Perry songs. I of course found this endlessly amusing.

One of the soldiers.

Katia, our translator.

Picture of Daddy taken by AS.

And one of Mama.

Right now we need prayers for:
1) Continued bonding with AS.
2) Learning more English.
3) Good health for the kids, my mom and sister, and us.
4) Swiftness with getting our court date, and that once it's set it would not be rescheduled.
5) No more delays... that his biological mother would sign something stating she will not appeal.
6) for our finances, that we have enough money to make it to the end!
7) That we can continue to bear this separation from Zoe and Addie. This is incredibly hard sometimes, but I know they are taken care of. That makes it easier to do what we need to do here.

Each day I am amazed at the peace I have, and feel so truly blessed every time I see my boy smile. I didn't know how I could bear the thought of losing the other child we came for, but now I feel that we're in the right place at this time. Our little guy wouldn't have too much of a chance here, and it's so exciting to think of all the new experiences and opportunities he will have once we get home (and get past the scary part of starting his life there).

No comments:

Post a Comment